THOMAS HANFORD, PH.D.
I am an applied sociologist and higher education professional who is actively engaged in my professional communities. I serve on multiple boards and committees with the interest of advancing the state of the art in the profession. .
I have over ten years experience in progressively responsible higher education leadership roles in addition to years of management experience in private businesses.
I am highly proficient in various programming languages, SQL and applications. I have a broad data and technical skill set that is particularly suited for working with student information systems and records.
I beleive that work-life balance is a critical part of well being and mindfulness. For that reason, I am an avid outdoors and NYS Parks enthusiast, hiker and nature photographer who participates in numerous outdoor events and activities.
Resume and Curriculum Vitae
Professional Conference Presentations
- Conference Presentation: Collaborating for Student Success 2019, "Leveraging Technology to Extend Advising and Student Support" (2019)
- Conference Presentation: State University of New York Registrar’s Association, "Cross-Registration Best Practices" (2019)
- Conference Presentation: Second-Annual Applied Learning Workshop: Gathering Evidence to Support Student Success, "Beyond the Academic Transcript" (2015)
- Conference Presentation: Student Information and Campus Administrative Services (SICAS) Summit, "Managing Space and Classroom Inventories" (2014)
- Conference Presentation: Student Information and Campus Administrative Services (SICAS) Summit, "Developing a Course Creation and Management Tool" (2013)
- Conference Presentation/Poster: National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) National Conference, "From the Ground Up: Building and Advising Technology Platform" (2006)
Service, Awards and Recognition
- Vice President for Information Services (IS), State University of New York Registrar’s Association (2013-2017, 2018-Present)
- SUNY System Applied Learning Assessment Conference Planning Committee (2015-2016)
- SUNY Cortland Elected College Faculty Senator(2014-2016)
- SUNY-Wide Electronic Transcript Exchange Committee (2014-2016)
- SUNY-Wide Reverse Transfer Advisory Committee Member (2014-Present)
- Ex-Officio Member, Educational Policy Committee, SUNY Cortland (2012-Present)
- Ex-Officio Member, College Curriculum Review Committee, SUNY Cortland (2011-Present)
- Ex-Officio Member, Graduate Faculty Education Committee, SUNY Cortland (2011-Present)
- Voting Member, Facilities Master Plan Oversight Committee, SUNY Cortland (2011-Present)
- Professional Employees Council Grants Subcommittee, Binghamton University (2007-2008)
- Distinguished Service Award Recipient, Professional Employees Council, Binghamton University (2007)
- Instructor, "Sociology of Deviance", "Introduction to Sociology", "Criminal Justice" Cortland State College, Cortland, NY (2005-2015)
- Course Developer and Instructor, "Planning for Academic Success" Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY (2006)
- Instructor, "Criminal Justice" Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY (2007)
- Instructor, "Criminology", "Introduction to Sociology", "Sociology of Law", "Social Research Methods", "Criminal Justice Systems" University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY (2003 – 2005)
- Instructor, "Introduction to Sociology" Niagara County Community College, Sanborn, NY (2004 – 2005)
Feel free to reach out using my online form. I look forward to hearing from you!